High School Musical is one of the most beloved and highest rated Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOMs) and the movie celebrated its 10th Anniversary yesterday. In honor of this momentous occasion, I will share ten things I love about the High School Musical series, or at least the first three movies. Disney Channel replayed the movie last night with clips and interviews from the core six original cast members, including Zac Efron via recording since he was promoting his new movie and couldn’t be there in person. Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Monique Coleman, Corbin Bleu, and Lucas Grabeel got together to reminisce about their days at East High. Tonight, Disney Channel will also replay High School Musical 2 at 8pm eastern, and Freeform will play both movies this weekend. Double check your local listings for correct times and channels.
Fun fact, my mom was actually the one who first got me to watch High School Musical. I, for whatever reason, probably work, originally missed this DCOM on its first airing, but thanks to its amazing record setting popularity, it wasn’t long before I had the chance to fall in love with Troy Bolton and the rest of the Wildcats. The songs were catchy, the dancing was fun, and it was like Grease lite for the slightly younger and more innocent teen and tween crowd. Since the first tv movie in 2006, there was another DCOM in HSM2 in 2007, the theatrical release of High School Musical 3: Senior Year in 2008, and the direct to dvd Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure in 2011. I have them all, yes, even Sharpay. I’ve seen the concert movie and also watched the “reality” tv competition, High School Musical: Get In The Picture, in 2008 where someone won the right to perform the end credit song in HSM 3.
- I love Troy and Gabriella together. From their meet cute on New Year’s Eve at the ski lodge all the way up to choosing schools within 32.7 miles of each other. #RelationshipGoals
- I miss the several incarnations of High School Musical live entertainment at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I can’t tell you how many times I caught the High School Musical Pep Rally, High School Musical 2: School’s Out, High School Musical 3: Right Here Right Now!, and of course Disney Channel Rocks. The music to all three movies are still on my ipod/iphone.
- I was lucky enough to have a fan girl moment, but still cool and collected of course, while meeting Lucas Grabeel this past summer. He was so nice and was happy to pose for this selfie with me. 🙂
- What I used to refer to as Troy’s angry dance soliloquy is hilariously mashed up with Frozen in “Bet It Go.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbO9QFxnOVk
- One word: humuhumunukunukuapua’a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir38tIOQdT0
- Scenes in the rooftop garden are so gorgeous and I’m glad they revisit it from the first film in the third. I want to dance with Zac Efron on that roof.
- The original High School Musical broke sales records for the fastest selling tv movie on dvd selling 1.2 million copies in just six days. HSM2 broke records too when it aired to over 17.2 million viewers essentially live, eclipsing the original by over 10 million viewers.
- Ryan’s hats throughout the series are incredible. Here is a sampling of just some of them.
- Kenny Ortega, known for his choreography on Dirty Dancing, directed High School Musical as well as other Disney movies like Newsies, Hocus Pocus, HSM 2, HSM 3, Cheetah Girls 2, and last year’s Descendants.
- I love the fact that practically the entire cast remained in tact for all three movies from the core six to classmates, parents, teachers, etc. It has also been reported that the main six cast members are all still close and see each other regularly.
These are just a few things I love about the series and hope you found some things you enjoy about High School Musical also. I had a blast live tweeting last night and wish I could do the same tonight for HSM 2. Wildcats! Share some of your favorites if I missed any!Share this article:
Follow us for more updates: