(ASR) 13th, Erik Manuel Lamela (Alessandro Florenzi)
(ASR) 31st, Miralem Pjanic (unassisted)
(ASR) 45th, Mattia Destro (unassisted)
(ASR) 66th, Alessandro Florienzi (unassisted)
Orlando City: Miguel Gallardo, Jerome Mechack, Alex DeJon, Kieron Bernard, Luke Boden, James O’Connor (Jordan LeBlanc 68’), Jean Alexandre (Ian Fuller 74’), Chris Harmon (Brian Fekete 46’), Jamie Watson (Jonathan Mendoza 57’), Dennis Chin (Christian Eissele 74’), Adama Mcengue
A.S. Roma: Michael Bradley (Simone Perrota 46), Leandro Castan, Erik Manuel Lamela, Miralem Pjanic, Daniele De Rossi (Panagiotis Tachtsidis 46’), Mattia Destro, Ivan Rodrigo Piris, Maarten Stekelenburg (Bogdan Lobont 46’), Jose Rodolfo Dodo (Marco Antonio De Mattos Filho 59’), Nicolas Andrea Burdisso (Alessio Romagnoli 46’), Alessandro Florenzi
Time of match: 12:30 p.m.
Orlando City Falls To A.S. Roma
Valuable experience gained for Lions in 5-0 loss to three-time Serie A Champions
Winter Park, Fla. – Orlando City kicked off the new year in style, playing a friendly against three-time Serie A champion A.S. Roma in the 2013 preseason opener. Despite the 5-0 scoreline, the Lions impressed the sellout crowd at Barker Family Stadium in Winter Park, Fla., keeping up with worldwide stars like Michael Bradley, Francesco Totti and Maarten Stekelenburg in a game that the team hopes to be a springboard to a successful 2013 season.
“It’s been a really good experience for everyone,” said Orlando City Head Coach Adrian Heath. “It’s a huge eye-opener to what the next level of soccer is for everyone on the team.”
Roma, who trained at the Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney during their winter break, looked sharp against the 2012 USL PRO Regular Season champs. The Italian squad got started on the board early on, capitalizing on an early breakaway in the 2nd minute to take the 1-0 lead. Forward Erik Manuel Lamela notched a score after a well-directed pass by Miralem Pjanic hit the striker in stride, with the shot going up and over Orlando Goalkeeper Miguel Gallardo and into the net.
Lamela wasn’t done with scoring in the first half as the Buenos Aires native gave Roma a two goal advantage in the 13th minute. In a scrum around the box, the forward once again found the back of the net, with help coming this time from Midfielder Alessandro Florenzi. Pjanic, who held the assist on the first goal, netted Roma’s third goal in the 31st minute while Mattia Destro added a fourth in the 45th to give the Italian side a 4-0 lead going into halftime.
The second half brought about many changes for both squads, giving each club a chance to look at players who normally don’t see the pitch. Youngsters Brian Fekete from the University of Tampa and Jonathan Mendoza from the U23 squad came on as substitutes for Orlando, gaining valuable experience for players Heath has an interest in for upcoming 2013 season. The same happened for Roma, who gave playing time to keeper Bogdan Lobont, Marco Antonio De Mattos Filho and Panagiotis Tachtsidis.
Roma continued their impressive style of play, with a score by Alessandro Florenzi in the 66th adding onto their lead. The score, however, was not a concern for Heath as his team played against one of the world’s best, with the experience more valuable than a victory in the friendly.
“The match was great for our younger players to see what top level competition is,” Heath said.
All ticket proceeds of the match went to the Orlando City Soccer Foundation. A 501 (c)(3) non-profit, the Foundation promotes exercise and healthy eating to the children and families in the Central Florida area and has done recent work in the Parramore area at the New Image Youth Center.
Orlando City takes a break from friendlies until early February, when the club participates in its third Disney Pro Soccer Classic. The Lions will play against Major League Soccer clubs like the Philadelphia Union, Toronto FC and the Columbus Crew before seeing their placement on championship day on February 23. All matches will be held at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex in Kissimmee, Fla. For more information on the games, go to OrlandoCitySoccer.com.
About Orlando City Soccer Club:
Orlando City Soccer Club (OCSC) is a premier professional soccer sports franchise in the United States and is a member of the USL PRO. The Lion’s pro team has won two regular season titles and one postseason championship during their short time in Orlando. Outside of the pro squad, OCSC also has their own youth club, Orlando City Youth Soccer (OCYS) and a U23s team that participates in the PDL. For more information on the pro and youth clubs,visit www.orlandocitysoccer.com and www.orlandocityyouth.org.
Epcot Food and Wine Festival 2012 – Snack And Sip On This, Skip That
Every year at Food and Wine festival at Epcot there are a few booths that are either the same as previous years or things that are always available in the parks. While these items are yummy, they can be skipped if you are a on a time crunch while sipping and strolling around the park. I figured I would let you in on a few of these items!
Cheddar Cheese Soup: I know people go BANANAS for this soup and it is a top seller but this is both something you can get at Food and Wine, to go service AND table service at Le Cellier any time of the year. The line is ALWAYS super long and usually a bit of a wait.
My Advice: Skip This
Ice Wine: I am a HUGE FAN of Ice Wine. I had it for the first time many years ago at Food and Wine Festival. I make this a priority stop every year! The grapes for Ice Wine are only picked once a year, within a few hours from a special harvest of frozen to the vine grapes! It is a sweet dessert wine that is always such a treat no matter when you drink it!!!
My Advice: Sip on This
Assorted Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt Cups: I feel silly putting this on the list but I have to let you know! Seriously, head to Publix and pick your own flavors and enjoy them for breakfast! I am a huge Greek Yogurt fan but, who needs to wait in line and bay 3.00 for yogurt… lol. I would sing a different song if they had fresh made Greek Yogurt however.
My Advice: Skip This
Ravioli di Formaggio All’emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli) : This is always a top seller and there is always a long line to sample this. After Food and Wine 2 years ago, Epcot set up an Italy booth just on the outside of the country where you could purchase this dish year round since it was such a popular and huge hit. This portion for Food and Wine is a bit smaller then the regular season portion so it isn’t really worth the bang for your buck!
My Advice: Skip This
Kefta Pocket: This is an item that they do sell in Tangerine Cafe but this is a smaller portion at a much smaller price without the sides. The Seasoned beef is always flavorful and it is put in a Pita Pocket! One of my favorite choices for lunch so this is the perfect size if you want to try something new!
My Advice: Snack on This
Kielbasa & Potato Pirogi with Caramelized Onions: My husband and I are HUGE Pirogi fans.. we eat them at least twice a month. I am convinced that the Pirogi that they serve are the same ones we buy at Walmart. They tend to be over boiled and very floppy, served with a small slice of boiled kielbasa, a mickey head squirt of sour cream and a few floppy onions on top. Save your self the time, make them at home!
My Advice: Skip This
Singapore Sling: This is a concoction of Gin, Fresh Pineapple Juice, Cherry Juice and Soda Water. If you are ready for a strong and sweet beverage then grab this! Our recommendation is to ask for a cup of ice and pour your beverage over the ice to cut down on the strength.
My Advice: Sip On This
These are just some of my notes. Please feel free to sip and snack and skip what you want. I am lucky enough to get to go to Food and Wine multiple times each year so I can be a bit picky when ti comes to what I want to spend my money on each year. Please Keep on the look out for some of our Favorites and some of our Not so Favorites in the coming weeks! Make sure you follow us around on Twitter to see what new Favorites we may have!!!
Beth went to the preview of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival yesterday, and here are some of the pictures that she tweeted!
And now here are some Quick Bites to keep in mind as you are going around the Epcot Food and Wine Festival! Now these Quick Bites are extremely honest, and we have also included links to our friends over at The Disney Food Blog since they have AMAZING coverage of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival for a different perspective and beautiful pictures!
* Beef Empanada – I tried this last year, but didn’t like it. It was the only thing that I actually threw out.
* Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée – I loved this. It was one of my favorite things at the festival.
* Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Citrus Glaze – This is always good, but I’m not sure it is worth the cost. I would love to try to make it at home.
*Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies – Yum! I don’t recall the potato crunchies in previous years, but I can’t wait to try them.
* Steamed Mussels in Hoegaarden Beer Broth and Baguette – This is a festival favorite. I’ve always enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
* Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream – So good! People wait in the long lines for this dish alone!
* Guylian Belgian Chocolate Seashell Truffles – Last year this was only 2 truffles per package. It wasn’t an expensive item and the prices were probably on par with high-end chocolate like Godiva, but I don’t think I’d spend my money on it.
* Hoegaarden – My personal favorite beer in Belgium (though not my favorite of all Belgian beers).
* Leffe Brune – This is a new one beer this year.
* Godiva Chocolate Liqueur Iced Coffee – Always delicious, but a very small serving.
* Altenmünster Oktoberfest – This is also available in the Germany marketplace and in the WS pavillion.
* Altenmünster Dunkel – This beer was so popular last year that it sold out with more than 2 weeks left in the festival.
* Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup – This is always a top seller, but I personally don’t care for it.
* Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta and “Minus 8″ Onion Jam – I loved this last year. Officially, it doesn’t have a pairing, but I would recommend Niege (apple ice wine) with it.
** Neige Bubble – This actually won’t be at the festival because of a tornado at the orchard.**
* Cheese Fondue with Sourdough Bread – I love cheese, but I didn’t really like this one last year.
* Trio of Artisan Cheeses: Beecher’s Flagship Reserve Cheddar, La Bonne Vie Goat Brie and Rogue River Creamery Echo Mountain Blue Cheese – These are new cheeses in this selection this year.
*Sterling Vintner’s Collection Meritage – this was only okay. I don’t think I’d spend the money on it.
* Linda Bean’s® Perfect Maine Lobster Roll® – being a native New Englander, I was skeptical about this dish, but it turns about be delicious. Save your snack credits for this!
* Pumpkin Mousse with Craisins and Orange Sauce – the spices on this were delicious. Just like pumpkin pudding.
* Angry Orchard Cider – OMG. This is delicious. I must have more of it!
* Ravioli di Formaggio All’emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli, Creamy Beef Bolognese, Parmesan, Mozzarella) – popular, but I don’t really like it.
* Cannoli al Cioccolato (Chocolate-Covered Cannoli filled with Ricotta, Chocolate, Candied Fruit) – drooling just thinking about this!