Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, in EPCOT’s newly renamed World Discovery neighborhood, is a family-thrill attraction that will launch riders into an intergalactic chase rocking through time and space on May 27, 2022.
I’ve put together everything you Need to Know Before You Go…with some spoilers…so beware!
Know Before You Go: Guardians of the Galaxy – Cosmic Rewind
The First ‘Other-World’ Showcase Pavilion
In 1987 the Quill Family visited EPCOT, and Star-Lord loved the experience so much that he suggested the Disney park as the perfect place for Xandarians to connect with Terrans.
The Wonders of Xandar pavilion features three main sections.
The Galaxarium is a sweeping planetarium-style space showcasing planets, stars, and other intergalactic wonders that connect Terra and Xandar – reinforcing the notion that we’re all born of the same space dust. The Xandarian supercomputer, Worldmind, provides narration in the Galaxarium and gives context to the stunning visuals.
The Xandar Gallery invites guests to learn more about the Xandarian people, culture, and history – including the heroes of Xandar – through specially crafted displays, including models of starships and a Xandarian city. The gallery also features excerpts from “Good Morning Xandar,” where a host interviews the Guardians of the Galaxy about their heroic deeds.
The pavilion tour concludes in the Phase Chamber, where guests instantly teleport from EPCOT to a Nova Corps Starcharter cruiser orbiting Earth. Here they learn about the Cosmic Generator, a piece of Xandarian technology that creates jump points – artificial tunnels in space allowing for rapid travel across vast distances.
And this is when things go wrong…
New Twists and Thrills
To help save visitors of the Wonders of Xandar Pavilion, the Guardians arrive on the scene with a plan to track down Eson, the attraction’s Celestial nemesis, by taking them on an intergalactic chase to save the galaxy.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind offers several “firsts,” including:
• The first coaster attraction at EPCOT.
• The first reverse launch for a Disney coaster.
• The first Disney Omnicoaster, where vehicles make controlled rotations, always keeping guests focused on the action.
• The first Walt Disney World attraction to feature the Guardians of the Galaxy.
A Rocking Soundtrack
Like the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind weaves classic pop music – or “poet sorcery,” as Gamora would say – into the fabric of its experience.
Disney Imagineers tested more than 100 potential songs for the attraction before creating the soundtrack that includes:
- “Disco Inferno”
- “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”
- “I Ran”
- “One Way or Another”
The soundtrack is exciting because riders won’t know which song they’ll hear each time they ride until they jump into space with the Guardians.
Treasures of Xandar
Guests can hunt for Guardians of the Galaxy-themed fashions, accessories, home décor, collectibles, and toys at the Treasures of Xandar shop, located at the Wonders of Xandar pavilion.
The Xandarians hired The Broker to operate this new merchandise location on Terra.
When the pavilion opens, the Treasures of Xandar will debut several new product lines, including
- What if the Guardians were rock stars? Inspired by vintage concert merchandise of the 1980s, the Heroes of Xandar Collection imagines all of the gear and memorabilia fans would collect during the Guardians’ fictional intergalactic tour.
- The 1980s nostalgia continues with a bold and colorful line celebrating Peter Quill’s childhood visit to EPCOT. The Guardians of the Galaxy: Through the Eyes of Quill Collection features retro silhouettes and graphic designs evoking decades past.
- After helping save the galaxy, guests of all ages are invited to show off their new hero status in style with the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – Honorary Guardians Collection. Honorary Guardians will be distinguished in their rank through the official Honorary Guardian colors of navy and gold paired with the Honorary Guardian emblem, which is proudly displayed on each item in the collection.
- The Groot Through the Years Collection celebrates the sentient tree-like creature and his journey to becoming a defender of the galaxy. The collection, which includes toys, home décor, and children’s apparel, illustrates Groot’s evolution from baby to adolescent to adult.
How to Ride Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
When Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind opens, guests must make sure they have the My Disney Experience app to enter the virtual queue as a standby queue will not be available.
Keep in mind that the virtual queues are limited, subject to availability, and are not guaranteed.
In addition to the virtual queue, guests can also purchase an individual Lightning Lane entry when it opens each day.
Lightning Lane entry purchases are limited in availability, are subject to change or closure, may vary by date, and are not guaranteed.
Don’t forget that each guest must also have a Park Pass Reservation to EPCOT to enter the virtual queue or purchase a Lightning Lane.Share this article:
Follow us for more updates: